Tuesday 11 August 2015

ADVICE FOR 21 YEAR OLD ME

ADVICE FOR 21 YEAR OLD ME
I never enjoyed my 20's. At all. I don't know if i would rewind and relive those years but in some aspect I wish I had.
My 20's can be summed up in one word worry
I worried a lot.
I could finally tick the adult box.
I was expected to have figured out what I wanted to do and how I was going to make it.
There was no room for thinking cause you were supposed to have it figured out.
Especially for me as the first born in the family I was supposed to be an example to my siblings.
There was a lot of pressure.
I'm one of those people who knew what she wanted to do and knew what I wanted to do. but society was not ready for it and especially my
mum.
It was so hard but one of the marks of being an adult is standing up for yourself.
So I did, I managed to do what I wanted to do in college. It was a struggle. Then you finish and now the real task begins. Parents ask every
week, "how's the job hunting going?" then it changed to " there is this receptionist job I think you should apply for"

Well I worried a lot more after that.

  • Worried about disappointing my parents
  • Worried when I'd ever receive my first income
  • Worried if I'd ever get an internship let alone a job
  • Worried if i should become an entrepreneur
  • Worried if I should change career
  • Worried about not making it 

I had no one to turn to who would understand the life of a struggling artist. No wonder now when i see a young artist struggling
 I almost want to protect and nurture them. But they have to learn and find their own path.
So here is what I'd tell 21 year old me [even though I actually did some of them eventually]
Girl, you are young, and you have the who world and your whole life ahead of you.
  • You don't have to figure your life right now.
  • You will still disappoint people, be it yourself or others and yes even your parents
  • Continue being passionate about what you and continue to discover more about yourself and your passions
  • Take more risks, stop playing safe.
  • Take chances and seize opportunities
  • No situation is permanent
  • Don't be afraid to fail
  • Don't hold grudges
  • Forgive your parents, they mean well
  • Be there for your siblings, don't give up on them
  • Read books that will build you and your character
  • Accept yourself
  • Create great friendships
  • Don't afraid to be vulnerable to the right people
  • Don't shut people out
  • Life isn't always as you plan, embrace life and learn from it
  • People will not always have your best interest at heart, learn to forgive and let go
  • Celebrate people and be kind
  • Expect good things to happen to you
  • You are blessed and highly favored and God has a good plan for your life
  • You will make it
  • You are beautiful, believe it, and others will too
  • You have great talent, give yourself room to grow
  • Life is not always easy, hard times come, learn from them 
  • People don't have to get you, you just be yourself
  • Love will find you, embrace it
  • Focus on God

  • Finally [before 21 year old me gets tired]

  •  GOD HE IS ALWAYS THERE FOR YOU HE WILL NEVER LEAVE NOR FORSAKE YOU



Isaiah 41:10 
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. 
I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. 
Moved to 
http://musingsofafemaleafricanbeliever.weebly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment