Wednesday 5 August 2015

ADOPTION …..Is it an option?

ADOPTION …..Is it an option?

Those who know me know that I love children. I wouldn’t spoil them however I do believe children should be well behaved, but I do love kids.

I find them adorable and I love their perspective on things and life.
However not all kids have that privilege. Ever since I learnt about adoption, I was sure when I grew up I would get married, have kids and also adopt kids. There are many children without proper homes and I’d love to be able to help in that way.
 So I re-watched a movie I watched as a child called Orphan Train. I remember how I empathized with the children in the movie. I couldn’t imagine not being wanted. The most heart breaking scene was the teenage boy who was hanged for stealing. The society at the time preferred to get rid of children more than help them.
I have been privileged to come from a big family that care and love me and I have seen some of my relatives without parents being taken care of and being fostered by other relatives. It is basically a crime not to finish school in our family. We ensure people go beyond high school and can fend for themselves after they finish whatever course they do.
Our family isn’t perfect but you will know that you are loved.
I know in our African society we were very [and still are in some communities] very community based and we cared for each other.
I do strongly believe it is society’s responsibility to care for needy children and orphaned children.
Orphans are children that are victims of poverty, vice, crime and degradation
That live a life of neglect and suffering
After watching the movie I realized that the brave people who started the orphan train movement actually paved way for the modern day foster care system. Also the children’s rights cause it did not exist at the time.
Children have a right to a wholesome family environment. Not every child will be born in such an environment and it is very sad that a child has to start to figure out life even before they understand what life is.
Life before foster care meant
Abandoned children in the streets, starved or dying of disease, deprived of family and education.
They were often looked down upon by society and seen as thieves
The Orphan train movement in the US started as a way to rescue these kind of children from such situations. Here is a link to the 10 minute documentary

We have a lot to be grateful for, that is for those of us who were raised in good families. Let’s extend that grace to other children. We wouldn’t want to be all alone, cold, sick and starving. Left to fend for ourselves and eat trash or leftovers if we are lucky.
 Let’s do the best we can to extend our hand of help not just to kids but the needy.

I will end with this passage of scripture

Matthew 25:35-40 says:  35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[c] you were doing it to me!’

Moved to http://musingsofafemaleafricanbeliever.weebly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment