Wednesday 17 February 2016

LOOKING FOR NAOMI

LOOKING FOR NAOMI
This is yet one of those serious posts that I really felt I had to write in this season and I have dedicated it to the original Naomi in my life, my mum.
I’m sure the title seems a bit strange but it is basically based on the relationship Ruth in the Bible had with Naomi.
It’s been 10 years since my mum passed on and it is only in recent years that I realized I have a gap of an older woman in my life. I am sure one may wonder what a grown woman needs an older woman in her life for. My answer is plenty. The verse in Titus is no joke. Let’s look at it
Titus 2:3-5
the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.
For me this verse is more than about being married. There is the preparation for before and even during and just being a wholesome woman in the first place. That is something that you can only learn from another woman.
The verse speaks to me more about what kind of a woman one should be in society because even the character of the older woman and her reputation has to be intact. Besides that when this verse was written the role of a woman in society was more about being a wife and mother but so much has changed in current society.
 Currently the gap is so big for older women helping younger women transition into being wholesome women in society. It is a very sad state when I approach older women to speak to younger women and they say they have nothing to offer or they think younger women don’t want to listen to them. Then you speak to younger women about getting an older woman to mentor her and she is too intimidated or feels the older woman is too busy to make time for her. Such things crush my heart. Especially for one such as me who is in need of such leadership in my life.


I enjoyed the movie War Room a lot and my main impact of the movie was how Miss Clara was such a Naomi to Elizabeth. She walked her through being a wholesome wife by teaching her to turn to God in her circumstances and challenged her to be a Naomi to another Ruth in need of help. That is actually what stood out to me in that movie. What the power of two in agreement can do. Apart from what God did in that marriage there was a huge transformation for both Miss Clara and Elizabeth. For Miss Clara she helped a younger woman avoid the mistakes she made in her marriage and walked her through the difficult situation she was in through prayer. For Elizabeth she became more wholesome, more forgiving, a better mother and wife and a joyful woman.
I picked the Story of Naomi and Ruth in the Bible from the book of Ruth. There is always so much stressed on how Ruth met Boaz and people forget that Naomi had a big part to play in that relationship.
As much as Naomi was originally Ruth’s mother-in-law I believe Ruth truly converted to Judaism when she dedicated her life to be with Naomi after her husband died. I think so because Naomi was not too sure about her daughter-in-law’s commitment to Judaism or even to her when she decided to go back home. But when Ruth abandoned all she knew and dedicated the rest of her days to be with Naomi without knowing what the future held, that was what sealed it for Naomi. She was sure Ruth truly loved and cared for her. Not that Orpah didn’t, I just think Orpah wasn’t ready to commit to a life of uncertainty.

Sometimes when I mentor younger ladies, I do get the ones who are committed to walk their life journey with you and those that it is only for a season.
It is easy as a young woman to think you have life figured out and the truth is that it is a difficult world out there. We need each other and especially the Naomi-Ruth relationships. For all who have mums, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, mother-in –laws, sister-in-laws, female mentors etc. Do not take that time you spend or their presence in your life for granted. Appreciate them and reach out to them.
As much as we need them to give into our lives we also need to help them. Even as Ruth took care of Naomi we need to ensure we minister to the Naomi’s in our lives where we can.
 I have had a lot of older women come and go in my life, short term as it was the impact they have had in my life only God knows. They did not even have to necessarily speak but just to know that they care and how I saw them live their lives and take care of their families is amazing to me. I have seen God work in their lives in an amazing way.

My mother was an amazing woman. She impacted so many young ladies in her lifetime and even when I meet them now they miss her just as much as I do. She was willing to meet them at their level and even went and visited them in their homes. She made real impact in their lives and was a source of encouragement to them. Because of her my sister and I have a passion for reaching out to younger ladies and just being there for them in the space they are in. and we truly want her legacy to live on through that ministry.
I encourage ladies out there, reach out to a lady younger than you and younger ladies reach out to the older ladies to walk with you in this life journey. Who knows we might create a movement. But we need to be there for one another as women. Reach out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment